Carrot Cake with Almond Filling
SERVES: 12 COOK TIME: 45 minutes TOTAL TIME: 1 hour, 25 minutes
2 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoon dry buttermilk
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (grounded)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup canola oil
1⁄2 cup milk
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cup finely grated carrots
1 can Solo Almond Cake and Pastry Filling
1 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
16 ounce cream cheese, softened
1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cup powdered sugar
In order to bake this carrot cake with almond filling recipe...
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Peel carrots (the number will depend on size), then finely grate. Measure three packed cups of grated carrots and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add sifted flour, dry buttermilk, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and ground nutmeg, then whisk together until well blended.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, sugar and brown sugar. Using an electric mixer (a whisk attachment works best), mix for approximately 3 minutes. Add oil, milk and vanilla extract and mix for another minute. Slowly add dry ingredients to the mixture and mix until evenly blended. Be careful not to over-mix. Add carrots and gently mix into batter by hand.
- Thoroughly spray two 9-inch cake pans with non-stick spray. Evenly distribute the batter into each of the cake pans, then place them into the oven.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake pans from the oven, and place each on a cooling rack for approximately 20 minutes. Remove cakes from each pan and allow to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, add softened butter, softened cream cheese, heavy cream and vanilla extract. Using an electric mixer, beat on high for approximately 3-4 minutes. Add powdered sugar, approximately 1/2 cup at a time, and beat until well-blended. Once all the powdered sugar is added, beat the mixture on high for approximately 3 minutes.
- Once the cakes have cooled completely, place one of the cakes on a platter. Using a large serrated knife, cut the top off of the cake to create a level surface. Spread an even layer of Solo Almond Cake and Pastry Filling on top of the cake, then place the second cake on top of this layer.
- Evenly spread a layer of frosting on the top and sides of the cake. There will likely be extra frosting left over.
- Place frosted cake in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.