Summer is here and what better way to celebrate the hottest summer months than with a cool, refreshing dessert? And with National Ice Cream Day this month, we couldn’t think of a better reason to show you how to make your own ice cream cake at home!
What You Need to make an Ice Cream Cake
- 1/2 gallon of softened ice cream of your choice
- 1 package of your favorite cake mix
- Whipped topping
- Decorations as desired
- 1 deep, 9 inch round pan
- Time (24 hours is ideal!)
Ice Cream Cake Directions
- Prepare cake according to package directions; bake in a 9 inch, round baking dish and cool completely.
- Slice cake in half horizontally creating two layers of cake.
- With one half of the cake in the baking dish, scoop out softened ice cream onto one layer of cake and smooth until the cake is evenly covered.
- Place the second layer of cake over the ice cream and put in the freezer for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Take cake and place a board or serving platter over the cake and flip the ice cream cake over. You may need to wet a washcloth with hot water and run it around the sides of the cake. Take off the waxed paper and smooth the side of cake.
- Decorate by spreading whipped topping to cover the cake and decorate as desired.
Want to make your ice cream cake extra special? Try some of these amazing recipes from around the web and enjoy!
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake by The Soccer Mom Blog
Oreo Fudge Ice Cream Cake by Spend with Pennies
Fruity Pebble Crunch Ice Cream Cake by The Gunny Sack
Need to watch someone else make an ice cream cake? Check out this helpful YouTube video:
We’re celebrating National Ice Cream Day (July 19th) with a week filled with amazing ice cream! Check out our Pinterest page for even more tasty ice cream dessert ideas!